Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good News!

As it was the end of the year, I was considering doing a post reviewing what has happened with Little Bug this year. After beginning to write it, I realized how incredibly long it was, so I decided to keep it short and sweet:

January- His lymphatic malformation appeared to be returning and he had another surgery consult. We were given the good news that it was lymph collecting in his cheek and would work itself out.

February- Got the last of his baby baby teeth- those pesky molars.

March- I began to wonder if something was wrong. It was the first time that Autism crossed my mind, but inevitably, Little Bug would do something genius and I would con myself into believing that I was paranoid.

April- Little Bug got to have Ama come up and stay at our house. Nick and Lennon got spoiled rotten by her wonderful cooking and company while I went to India for business. Ama heard Little Bug's last sentence for quite some time- I said shit! Little Bug had over 100 spoken words and used sentences all the time.

May- I got back from India and had a shock. After spending time with children there and some friends' kids, I looked at Little Bug with a new awareness. I could no longer lie to myself. I called Ama and balled and she said we will get through this. Nick and Little Bug came home and we had the talk about Autism. We began to really notice that he lined up objects and flapped.

June- Our journey into the world of Autism began. We went to our pediatrician and were so nervous. Little Bug wandered around the room, biting himself and playing with anything shiny. He then lined up all the magazines. Our doctor looked at us and said that he agreed, filled out a paper and sent us on our way. We had our screening with the social worker

July- Little Bug's second birthday at the Nas Nas. We had a blast and for a while, put our thoughts of ASD on the back burner.

August- Little Bug had his OT, speech, and hearing evaluations in one week. We realized that his vocabulary had whittled down to 10 words. 10. It was the first time we heard the words "severely delayed", "obvious retardation of..." They stung and left us gasping for breath and help. We also got a diagnosis- ASD. It was one of the moments where you know what's coming, you really do, and yet the shock still hits you.

You know the rest of it.....

So the good news is that our insurance has made a change. There is no longer limits on how many appointments a child can have if they have a neurodevelopmental delay. YAHOO!!!!!! We are going to be able to get him the help he needs.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

YAY! Sometimes I can honestly say I'm proud to work in the insurance industry. Every now and then, they do something right. :)