Friday, January 2, 2009

How many licks does it take...

to get to the center of a table leg? I don't know yet but I am sure that Little Bug will soon find out. He has always had a passion for eating and chewing things that shouldn't- rocks, sand, glass, the dog, and the top of the aforementioned table is missing a Little Bug bite. With the chewie and the P or Q- whichever you like- we thought we had this beat.

Um... no. He spent about 5 minutes licking the table leg. After (I thought) successfully distracting him with beans for tactile input and a chewie, he began to lick the couch. For an extremely long time- onwards of 20 minutes and no amount of restraining or distracting could keep him from this.

These are the times when I shake my head and wonder- what in the hell was I thinking? I look at when we were planning to have Little Bug and I thought of all the things he would do. This was never on the list. I feel silly and small when these things happen because, to a certain extent, I am mesmerized and incapable of action.

Nick and I were discussing it last night and wondering how this fit in with some of his new requests- salt and Johnny's seasoning. I had to hide the salt shakers and Johnny's as he was trying to steal them. He also has been making a fake retching face/action.

We can't ask him if it hurts, because that doesn't register for two reasons. First, that question will be interpreted as "Does said body hurt right this second?" Second, he doesn't interpret pain the way you and I would.

We also discussed taking him to the doctor's office, but were unsure why, again for two reasons. First, what do you say- my son, with ASD, has increased oral stimulation seeking behavior to a new high and is stealing the salt and pretending to retch, but we think that might all tie together. Second, our doctor isn't House and would laugh us out of the building.

Maybe we give Little Bug too much credit, and I am sure some people believe that and that we overanalyze and make everything more important that it is. But we firmly believe that all behaviors have an explanation. You simply have to look and dig. Often times, you have to change your perception. I never understood his flapping by the Christmas tree or in the bathroom mirror until I did it (it creates a really cool strobe light effect and also seems to make the light in our apartment less harsh). In this case, I am not suggesting I should lick the couch and eat boatloads of salt, but I do think that Nick and I will need to adjust our narrow perspectives once again.

I am thankful every day for these experiences and for Little Bug. Every day, he broadens our horizons and reminds us that just because its the way we do it or feel it, doesn't make it the only way. Who says people with ASD are the only ones affected by mind blindness? I think we all are at times.

On a different note, we believe that Little Bug is exhibiting echolalia. While his speech is limited, he is demonstrating that he has huge portions, and sometimes all, of a movie memorized. We aren't talking about just one line from his favorite character in his favorite movie, but many lines, mannerisms, and facial expressions from multiple movies.

No comments: