Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holy Word Explosion Batman!

I have never heard Little Bug say so many new words in one day- Purple, Chicken, Mee Ooo (miss you), Jake, Yeena (his name), Bite, and Pop. He also said his first unprompted sentence yesterday that I have heard since he was 11 months old- I wan juuush (I want juice). He said Want Juice unprompted for the first time in class yesterday- apparently, Therapist L about had a heart attack.


I can feel hope creeping through me from the dark place it stays locked away. Like I said, you should have hope, but you need to do the work. In honesty, part of me is scared- scared of more regression, scared of more loss. But I'll tell you something-

I believe that Little Bug can do this. I believe in him more than anyone else and with all my heart. I know that he will reach his highest potential.
To tally his progress, he now has 70 words total, of which 49 are unprompted. That means in the 4 months to the day that he was diagnosed with Autism, he has gained 60 words total and can say 39 more words unprompted. He'll reach his potential.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

" He'll reach his potential."

Damn skippy, he will! Go Little Bug!

As someone well-versed in their kid waking up and doing something random and astonishing that they've never done before, I know how awesome this feeling is.

The thing is, even if he has to take a couple of steps back at some point for some reason, you already know he's done it once, and you know he'll do it again. It's often two steps forward, three steps back, and two steps forward again, but everything still keeps moving ahead.

Man, that's so awesome. This made my day.

EJ Willingham said...

Of course he will. And I've found that once they've cracked the code...they continue on, exponentially. Way to go, Little Bug!