Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Silver Lining

People often tell you that you need to look on the bright side or look for the silver lining. I used to scoff and roll my eyes- more happy b.s. to fill your head rather than dealing with being upset. Looking back, I realize that sometimes, there really is a silver lining. It may not always be immediately apparent or easy to accept. For example, I am 26 years old and have lost three parents- when I was 7, 11, and 19. Most people wouldn't see the silver lining in that. However, to me, I have gained a lot of strength, determination, and independence from going through this. I never would have met my mom if my birth parents were alive. Sometimes, a silver lining can only be found once the clouds are gone and you have time to reflect on what you saw.

Yesterday's silver lining was more immediately apparent. Little Bug had the flu and needed to be changed frequently. For the first time, he was able to tell us that he went potty- he signed POTTY and said PAW. He was able to tell us where it hurts. I was able to calmly take his temperature for the first time ever. Yes, it sucks that he was sick, but it was so much easier for him this time. We could find out what hurt and where and what he wanted to help his tummy feel better.

He has a new sign- leaf. Leaves have become very interesting to him now that it is fall and they are scattered about. On our walks, I always give him a handful to throw. He loves to watch them float to the ground and he always laugh.

No comments: