Friday, October 3, 2008

Incomplete knowledge can be dangerous

http://susansenator.com/wantedchild.html

The above article is regarding a change in recommendations regarding when to test for Down Syndrome. It used to be 35 and up and now is recommended for everyone. The author discusses what limited knowledge the tests give- yes your child has a disability, goodbye. Not how to help a disabled child reach its full potential once you learn that you have a disabled child.
It scares me to think what ignorance and fear can make us do. If someone had told me the Little Bug would have Autism, I would have hope that my first reaction would be to go do the research and find ways to maximize his potential just as I have done now.


I will say that DN and I had the tests done with Little Bug. We did it not so that we could abort a child that was disabled, but be prepared. We- and more me than DN I think- needed to know. I wanted to know if he would have Down’s Syndrome and how to help him. I wanted to know what would happen if he had a disability that we couldn’t care for. Like the article says, we are lucky to have him- just as he is- and not the other way around.

No comments: