Saturday, October 4, 2008

An angel named Ethan

Normally, I would not disclose some one's name. but considering I don't actually know this person nor have specific identifying details about him, I thought it would be appropriate- especially since we owe him a huge thank you.

You see, we took Little Bug to McD's to play and eat. Normally, when he goes, he can't keep up with the bigger kids and is usually left by himself if there isn't another toddler there. Not yesterday. A wonderful little boy named Ethan was there. At first, I was really concerned as there were a lot of big kids- kids who are as tall as me playing in there. But Little Bug held his own.

He went to climb up a set of platforms, but couldn't. He signed help to us, but we told him he needed to do it on his own- not to be mean, but to basically ensure that if he can get up there, he can get back down. He then went and sat in the play car for a while by himself, spinning the wheel and flapping his arms. That's when Ethan showed up. Ethan took him by the hand and helped him up the platforms. Ethan crawled after him through the tubes. When they came down the slide, Ethan told his mom- LOOK AT MY NEW FRIEND!

I went over and thanked Ethan's mom. I told her that she had a really special kid and that she should be proud. She didn't seem to get it- she said that it wasn't a big deal and that it was just kids playing. I told her it wasn't. I explained the Little Bug has ASD and doesn't often play with the other kids. But not today- her son made sure our son was included. It may seem normal to her, but it was so much more than that to us. I walked away from her crying a little bit. When I turned, I realized that she was tearing up too.

For me, this is a sign of hope. That Little Bug will be found and find the kind hearts of the world and he will be included. Not ridiculed. As a cynic, I have spent many nights worrying for his future- especially the torturous hell known as recess. My mind was more at ease last night than it has been in a long time.

Ethan, thank you for your kind heart. Thank you for including our son. You will never know what you did, but thank you.

1 comment:

Life on Pause said...

Aww...Sounds like Ethan really is a good kid. I hope that Little Bug crosses paths with those people all through his life. They're out there...fuuny thing is that you can't look for them. They have to find you!

TTFN
-Bri