Saturday, October 18, 2008

Negotiations

Now that Little Bug has a few words and a lot of signs, things are getting interesting. Last night at dinner, he signed “WANT CAT”. I wanted to make sure that I understood, so I asked him to say it again- “WANT CAT”. I explained that we couldn’t have a cat- we have a dog. Besides, having a cat makes daddy’s eyes feel like they are on fire. Then Little Bug says- “No Dog- WANT CAT.” Not sure whether that means he is trying to give our wonderful dog Frank the boot *or* if he is simply trying to negotiate- I don’t want *another* dog, just a cat.

Speaking of negotiating, dinner was full of it. Little Bug has developed a lot of eating issues. Things he used to eat all the time- re fried beans, sausage, melon, rice, chicken, cheese- he refuses to eat. For a while there, all meals had to be beige- beige meat, beige veggie, beige side. Not anymore, but at this point, we are sometimes making a couple of meals just to make sure he would eat. So last night, we were having sandwiches for dinner. One his plate- bread, roast beef, apple, one tiny sliver of cheese, and animal crackers and two chips. I had a sandwich and some chips. Well, of course, all he wanted to eat were the chips. So we began to negotiate about what he had to eat before he got chips. All in all, he did pretty well.

We have a few new signs:
Dirty
Pig
Chicken
Frog
Hopefully, today’s negotiations with Little Bug go well. I hate when I have to invade and place his whole country on time out- that’s never fun. ;)

No comments: