Friday, October 31, 2008

A cure?

I received an email today asking me if I wanted to cure Little Bug and giving many pointers on how to recover him. First of all, this is a deeply personal decision that each family needs to make for themselves and not something to be casually offered. We are not talking about going to get a coffee or out to lunch, we are talking about treatments that could be dangerous. You need to consider both the pros and cons and decide what is best for *your* family. Once you know that, who cares what other people think- do what you know in your heart is best.


To answer the email, no, we do not want to *cure* Little Bug. Why, you ask- because there isn’t anything wrong with him. Yes, he has difficulties. Yes, he may never do certain things. Yes, he gets frustrated. But he is happy too. All you have to do is see his smile or hear his laugh to know that he is happy and that he knows he is loved. You can see that he is making progress *every day*. Just because it isn’t on the same pace as everyone else, doesn’t make it invalid- just different.


In general terms, I personally do not believe in curing. I believe in helping people achieve their highest potential. I believe that there is room in this world for diversity. Do I believe that it is easy to be different? No. From my personal experience as a gay transsexual man- its not.
If you want perspective on this, go ask the source. Read about people like Dr. Temple Grandin or Jason “J-Mac” McEliwain.

For a dose of hope and perspective, read The Game of My Life. Or watch this video:


(it’s the 8th item down on the list)
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=j%20mac%20basketball&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

No comments: