Friday, January 30, 2009

The Transporters

In the news recently, it was reported that Simon Baron-Cohen and his team have created a children's show to help kids with ASD learn about emotions. To read the full article, see here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99732203

I read the article and watched the video and one thing that I couldn't shake was that while it uses human faces, it does the same thing that Thomas the Tank Engine does. In fact, Thomas videos are one of the ways that I work on emotions with Little Bug. We talk about the faces and what the narrator is saying and in sign and speech label the emotions.

When I went to their website- thetransporters.com- I was shocked at the price- $57.50, which includes 75 minutes of video, 30 interactive quizzes, and a 36 page booklet for parents- think a teacher's guide.

Now I don't want to belittle this because it is great to have more resources to reach our children and what works for one may not work for another. I guess all I am saying is that for the cost and what it does, it may be worth looking at a library or contacting your FRC. Another option, try Thomas- seriously. It meets all the same points as the following article excerpt and is $9.99 a video and be watched for free on cable:

"Children with autism love to watch mechanical objects like vehicles," Baron-Cohen says, "probably because they're so predictable."
Each vehicle is a distinct character, including a cable car named Sally, a tractor named Barney and a tram named Charlie. Throughout each episode, their facial expressions change to match the emotions described by the narrator.
"Even if the child is focusing on the wheels going around on the vehicles, or on the levers and mechanical aspects of the vehicles, even without realizing it, they're going to be looking at the faces," Baron-Cohen says.

I applaud Mr. Baron-Cohen for his dedication and hard work. I am glad to see that ASD is getting so many resources and time. I worry for parents- often times, when we see breakthroughs like this, we think- I *have* to get that. While I would love to have Little Bug be able to watch it, $57.50 for one DVD is steep. Especially when we do the same thing with Thomas.

No comments: