Sunday, January 18, 2009

Alternate Options

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I said Little Bug was falling asleep by himself? That is no more and he is back to not sleeping through the night. Friday night, he woke up at 2 in the morning and cried until 4. Then back to sleep and up at 7. Last night, he sat up several times and would touch the dog and talk to him.

Nick and I are very hestitant to give Little Bug anything, but it might be time to look for an alternate option. I know my friends over at Both Hands and a Flashlight have suggested melatonin, which will be our first thing to look into. Quite honestly, we are very skeptical when it comes to medication or herbal supplements and children. At this point, we have to consider it. He is 2 and a half and still not sleeping through the night.

Quite honestly, Nick and I need some relief and Little Bug needs a better quality of sleep. If you have any suggestions, send 'em our way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI - We didn't try melatonin ourselves but know a lot of people who have. It's about the safest medical kind of intervention out there for trying to help out with sleep. It doesn't help everyone, but I know a number of people who've had good results.

I don't know whether you all already do this, but we use a white noise machine in his room. That was a big part of our salvation. If you have a kid easily startled by sudden noise, which we all seem to, white noise mitigates that.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you. I think you're already doing the other things I can think of like routines and rituals and whatnot.