Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pop go the Weasels?

I recently stumbled across and article on MSN that was entitled The 10 WORST DADS. I don't knwo why I looked, but I did. And the third worst dad of last year was Thomas Beatie. He is a transgendered gentleman from Oregon who had a baby last year. Apparently, that makes him a bad dad because "Teaching kids about sex is tough enough. But when this bearded, deep-voiced transgendered Oregon man popped out a bundle of joy earlier this year, our jobs as fathers became even more complicated: "Sit down, son. I need to talk to you about the birds, the bees…and the trannies." Oof."

That's funny, as I would think that teaching your child to love and accept people- unconditionally- would make you a good parent. Maybe I am biased as after all, I am one of those dubious trannies who had a baby too. I was on hormones for almost two years when my partner and I wanted to adopt. We were told that we couldn't adopt because being transexual is considered a mental illness- much like being homosexual was. So, we decided that we wanted a child anyway and I began the process of weening myself of of Testosterone. Eventually, Little Bug was conceived and born.

Our friends were so supportive about it- they made Nick a shirt that said- HE'S having my baby. Which ofcourse Nick proudly wore everywhere. The funny thing about this situation is that Little Bug has not had any difficulty. When people call me she or mom- he corrrects them by yelling "DA!!!!!" or signing it over and over again.

My son may have a harder time in school- he may get made fun of. Hell, he may even hate us for doing this. But, hopefully, we will have raised him right. He will know that people should be able to get married no matter who they love. That HE and SHE are simply words and what matters is a person's actions and what is in their heart. That no matter the color of your skin, who you do or do not worship, and who you have sex with, you desesrve an equal place in this world. When my job's done, he'll know.

4 comments:

Life on Pause said...

I'll admit I made the mistake a few times myself. And I'm sorry for it, it must make you feel crappier than when someone calls me "Ashleigh" (Wrong twin people WRONG TWIN!)

But I've got it down now, and it doesn't bother me at all....not one bit.

I respect you and DN for what you're doing, not backing down from wanting to live life. It makes me glad to have you as friends.

Anonymous said...

"He's having my baby."

You have SOOOOOOO got to put that on Cafepress (or someplace like Cafepress that doesn't sell crappy t-shirts). That is absolutely awesome.

Because, I don't know, a parent who - you know - actually wants to be a caring parent who loves their kids unconditionally and is deeply involved in the day-to-day lives of their children and works to raise them in a loving, accepting home and teach them to respect and appreciate the diversity of all human beings is a bad thing? Get real people. (Note to self - get a comma too.)

Given all the 'hit-it-and-run' non-dads out there, people should focus more on getting some of these people to clear that very low bar of responsibility than coming after people who could out-parent them any day of the week blindfolded. Sheesh.

Keep doin' what your doin'!

"The funny thing about this situation is that Little Bug has not had any difficulty."

That's because kids are wiser than adults; they haven't learned prejudice yet. And may they never learn it.

FerrariGirl said...

The last paragraph of your post pretty much sums up what a good parent is! I'm glad to know there's another person out there that realizes we are not to judge...

Your son must have such a beautiful soul!!

Blake said...

Thank you all for your kind words.