Thursday, October 8, 2009

I AM A LIAR (at least my son wants you to think so)

During Little Bug’s parent teacher conference, we talked about one of his new behaviors- he gets stuck repeating the following, “I’m Little Bug. I’m three.” He will say this over and over again.

Nick and I have tried to get him to say “What’s your name?” but this never works out because when we prompt him, he tells us his name. During the conference we explained that we think (operative word here) is his attempt to initiate social interaction, unfortunately he can’t ask what someone’s name is.

(If you know anything about foreshadowing and children, you know where I am going here.)

On the way to the doctor’s office, he looked at me in the car and seemed to really think. His little brows furrowed and he frowned. He opened his mouth and would start to speak and stop. I knew that whatever was going to come out was really hard for him.

Finally, he looked at me and said, “What’s your name?”

A huge smile stretched across my face as tears spilled over. “I’m Daddy Blake. What’s your name?”

We continued this game all the way to the doctor’s office. Where he asked for the nurse's name.

I am happy to be this kind of liar.

No comments: