Tuesday, October 6, 2009

ASL update

I give a lot of credit for Little Bug's language to ASL. ASL is what we turned to between diagnosis and services- those horribly long months on wait list after wait list. His first language understanding was ASL- that was where the first phrases, questions, and comments came from. ASL is what gave him a voice. When asked what languages he speaks, we always add ASL because he still uses it.

We are now using ASL for letters. This weekend, Little Bug learned the alphabet in ASL. I am amazed at how quickly he picked it up. We went through it twice, and now he is randomly saying letters and signing the correct sign.

In other updates, he knows the days of the week. How and where he learned this is beyond me, but he does know them. He looked at Nick and I on Sunday and said, "Ride school bus morrow- Mondy." He was right.

He is having a hard time with stimming again. He has begun to go to his room and open and close the doors on his dresser and yell "Open and Shut! Open and Shut!" over and over again. If something is red, brown, green, or blue (Thomas people know where I'm going), he has to sing the Thomas the Tank Engine theme song.

Biting and hitting are creeping up in instances. It seems like this is his way of modulating himself as he is doing it whenever he is feeling something extreme. For example, he and I were wrestling and goofing off yesterday. I was tickling him and he was laughing hysterically- those belly laughs that shake his body and make everyone in the room laugh as well. Well, he bit my face. I didn't get mad or loud, I just said OW! He immediately apologized and we went back to playing. He later was biting himself because he was laughing.

I am thankful that we will be starting OT in 17 days.

No comments: