Wednesday, October 28, 2009

General Chaos

This is my new nickname for Little Bug and how things have been recently. On Thursday, we had to take Little Bug to the Urgent Care because he had a fever and a horrible cough that started on Tuesday. Friday and Saturday were much worse for him- he started to not eat and say that it hurt to drink. Luckily, he is much better and able to go back to school.

Starting last Sunday, Little Bug has begun waking up at 4 or so every morning. Yesterday he woke up at 3:30. As he doesn’t take naps- of his own volition- we have tried having him go to bed earlier- which only results in waking up earlier.

The bright side of this chaos is that he has some wonderful emerging skills. He has learned two new games- “I am…” and “I see…” “I see” is the same as I Spy. “I am” involves picking an animal and either acting it out or telling some details about it. He has become very good at pretending through this game and has begun to do it independently. He will stand on the couch and flap his arms and say, “I am a bird!” He will hop on all fours and say, “I am a frog.”

He also demonstrated the concept of wanting- something besides food, water, etc. While this sounds like an annoying thing- the beginning of the I want monster even- it is cool to watch him understand that people have wants besides needs. He doesn’t say “I want (insert toy)” like most kids his age without seeing the toy or touching it. All three year olds who I know immediately begin asking for a toy when they see a commercial or activity in a show. Maybe Little Bug is delayed because we don’t have TV, but I doubt that. He has plenty of advertising aimed at him. Just look at the inserts they put in DVDs for children- stocked full of toys, books, games, etc.

He was watching the new Thomas movie, which now includes commercials for toys at the beginning, which I hate, but I digress. He began to flap and jump when he saw the Spin and Fix Thomas. Well, Little Bug wasn’t done with just wanting. He looked at me and said, “I want that toy. Santa bing it for me on Pissmas.” Not only has he demonstrated an understanding of want, but an understanding of a concept- like Christmas and Santa. I guess we all know what Santa is bringing him on Pissmas.

On Sunday, we carved pumpkins. He did a great job of touching the nasty, stringy gunk in the middle- I think my sensory issues with that showed more than his did. He loved getting to say whether the faces were happy faces or scary faces. That he was willing to allow us to carve the pumpkins at all was huge. Last year, when we attempted to carve pumpkins he lost it. He didn't want the pumpkins to change- they had to stay just the way they were.

On Monday, he asked to sit on the potty. We were excited because he fell off the wagon at home since he has started going to the bathroom on the potty at school. Well, he not only sat on the potty, but he pooped on the potty. While Nick and I were totally surprised, he seemed absolutely shocked. He stood up and pointed at the toilet,yelling, “POOOPPPP!!!”

All in all a chaotic and amazing week.

No comments: