Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fallen off the wagon....

Well, Little Bug has fallen off the potty training wagon- at home that is. He is back to avoiding it and creating quite a fiasco when asked about. At school, however, he loves to go potty. His teacher says that he has asked to go everyday and goes every time he asks.

We are unsure how to handle this. On one hand, there is the desperate want from the parents to not have to buy diapers. To not have to deal with the judgment in public over having him in diapers still. It is amazing what people feel okay saying. Yesterday, I was called a "lazy parent" because my son still wore diapers. I looked at the person and said, "You have no idea what my life is like. Go judge someone else."

On the other hand, we don't know what we are doing. Every time we push him, he goes back. Every time we think we have it figured out, it goes awry. At this point, we still think that giving him time is the best.

Little Bug and tried an experiment the other night as I wanted to know if he could recognize the need to go to the bathroom and the sensation of wetness. I let him put on his big boy underwear and hang out. He peed in them and didn't acknowledge it. He didn't acknowledge that they were wet or that he had to pee. Given this, maybe we are putting the cart before the horse and rushing him. I know I'm not an expert, but to me, it seems that a child should have an understanding of the sensation of wet versus dry and the need to pee or poop.

If anyone has tips or suggestions, please pass them our way.

1 comment:

Life on Pause said...

I think it might be worth it to try training diapers if you haven't yet.

http://www.pull-ups.com/na/cool_alert.aspx

However, I don't know if the sensation would be too cool for him. You'd have to try it out some way.

They also have easy-open sides, so you wouldn't have to struggle just in case

Hope that helps,

Bri