Tuesday, July 21, 2009

No more training wheels

This is Little Bug's last week at Birth to Three. Nick and I are a bit panicked. For us, this means that we no longer have a team of 5 highly educated, informed, and dedicated people supporting us through this.

This journey has been amazing. Everyone wants to give Nick and I all the credit- "Your follow through at home is amazing!" or "You two must work really hard with him!"- forgetting that we couldn't do this without our team.

Our team has helped us come up with such simple strategies that we never would have thought of. They have done crisis interventions for when Little Bug's self injuring behavior was getting worse.

They have been there to set realistic expectations for us as parents and to set the bar high for Little Bug. They have never accepted can't or won't but will.

I feel a huge sense of loss at this turning point. I also feel lost. I know we will get through this and innovate and come up with therapies. For now, all I can think is that I would love to give them the world and yet I know that that would never be enough. I can't ever tell them how grateful we are.

No comments: