Thursday, July 23, 2009

Little Bug's Superhuman Feats of Oral and Gastro Intestinal Wonderment!

Yesterday was like any other day. Any other day in which your child can't distinguish food items from non food items at 2 years and 362 days of age. In the past month alone, he has eaten, attempted to eat, or mouthed the following items:

Velcro*
Playdough*
Raw beans*
The plastic ring from a milk jug
The faucet on the bathtub
Paper clip
Rubber band
Matchbox car wheels*
House Keys
Yarn*
Sticks
Rocks*
Sand*
The kitchen Table
The living room table
The coffee table
Baby wipes*
Soap*

(the items with astericks next to them were successfully consumed.)

Yesterday far exceeded all previous performances. We were in the yard playing with our neighbor's daughter. In the time it took me to turn around to say hello to our neightbor, Little Bug found a piece of glass that was 2 inches long and BEGAN TO EAT IT!

I rushed over to him, which means that he tried to swallow it as that is what he does, and tackled him to the ground and forced his mouth open in order to get the glass out. My poor neighbor is standing there as I force Little Bug to keep his mouth open so that I can see if there are any shatters of glass. (There weren't, just several cuts along the sides of his mouth.)

She looked at me and shook her head. "But that was glass! He didn't cry? Can't he feel it?"

I tried to explain that we don't know. Her response was to look at Little Bug and say, " You will be the best side show performer ever!"

We are lost and don't know what to do about this. While I understand that *nothing* happened, what could have happened plagues me. Please, if you have any ideas, send them our way.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Oh my gosh, Blake, how scary! I've had my share of near-misses with Bryce, the whole "I'm so glad it was nothing, but MAN that COULD'VE been bad!" feeling. It's not fun as a parent.

And honestly, I have no idea what you could do about it. It sounds like you and DN do about the utmost best you can to keep Little Bug safe, and teach him what is okay to eat and what is not. I don't know that it's that realistic to expect you to enter an area 5 minutes ahead of him and inspect its item and safety 100% of the time, which is what it would likely take. I guess the only thing you can really do is what you're already doing. Just try to do the best you can. Some things we look at through the eyes of adults and think, "nope, no way he'd try and put THAT in his mouth," but sure enough, they do it anyway.

Good luck!
Kristy