Thursday, April 2, 2009

World Autism Awareness Day




Because of Little Bug, Uncle, J-Man, and thousands of other children I am aware. Because of the tireless efforts of their parents and families, I am aware. Because of the dedication, determination, and selflessness of Little Bug's teachers, I am aware.

I am aware that while this is a lifelong experience, it is not a death sentence nor an imprisonment. It is a life- someone to be cherished, celebrated, and enjoyed. Like any life, there are ups and downs, struggles and sorrow. There always is. But there is also always joy. I am aware that my son is equal to everyone else's and deserves an equal place and voice in this world. I am aware that my son is perfect just as he is- stimming, smiling, sharkey, hysterical.

I am aware that the rhetoric of newspapers, magazines, "celebrities", and doomsday organizations is meant to scare you. I am aware that there are a myriad of choices facing families with ASD. I am aware that we have the right to forge our own paths. I am aware that your choices deserve my respect. I am aware that we are in this together.

I am aware.

Are you?

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Because of you, Blake, I am aware. Thank you for keeping up with this blog. I feel like a part of your family. The ups, the downs, the struggles and the triumphs...know that in some small way, I share in these with you and Nick.

Kristy

Tim said...

OMG! He is so adorable! Some days (like right now) I get a little tear in my eyes thinking about how great our kids are. Shine on, Little Bug!