Wednesday, March 4, 2009

An Interview

Not long ago, I blogged about a paper that Jess wrote regarding visiting Little Bug and how it changed her carreer path. Originally, she wanted to be an ASL interpreter, however in meeting Little Bug and seeing how he used sign language as a hearing child with ASD in order to gain communication skills, she realized that what she was truly passionate about is special education.

These visits are continuing and I can only see great things coming from this relationship. For Little Bug, he gets to learn with someone outside his comfort zone. For her, she is getting to learn about the different therapies that we use with Little Bug and also about the Special Education experience of one family.

Yesterday, I received a phone call from a school newspaper wanting to know more about how we use sign language with Little Bug as well as how he and Jess established a relationship. I have to admit, I was truly surprised. That this was news worthy to a school. I remember my school paper and it never included stories like this- it was more local school drama, school sports, and dance coverage. I was astonished that there was an interest and that the school would allow this to be covered.

The interview was at times difficult for me because I wanted to ensure that the student understood that I am not an expert in ASD, sign language, or therapy. Just Little Bug. Her questions were interesting- how did they create a relationship, why would we use sign language with a hearing child, how does this benefit, why does this work for Little Bug, etc. I had to admit that I didn't have all the answers and some of my answers probably weren't what she expected.

For example, we started sign language to bide time in a way. There was a 3 to 4 month gap between realizing that Little Bug may have a delay to getting services. For us, it was maddening to know that there was a problem but nothing we could do. When a therapist suggested sign language, we jumped on it. We checked with his future therapists to make sure that it wouldn't hinder him and then just kept running. We did this because at least we were moving.

I am grateful for this opportunity. I am thankful that the school is interested in this story and wants to have it published. I am thankful for Jess and the relationship she has with Little Bug.

No comments: