Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lennon John

Little Bug’s name comes from one of my personal heroes- John Lennon. The Beatles and John Lennon specifically have also resonated with me. When I was little, the happy memories I have center around their music- dancing in the kitchen with my mom or standing on my dad’s feet to dance. Theirs were the songs of my childhood. I identify with John Lennon. I understand his family life in a deeply personal way. I love his message of hope and challenging the status quo.



From the time Little Bug was a tiny bug, the Beatles and their solo projects have been a good send. When he wouldn’t sleep, we would turn up Blackbird loud enough to wake the dead and Little Bug would be still and listen- not sleep, but listen. When Little Bug has a hard time with transitions and new places, I sing “Blackbird” and “All You Need is Love” to him. He has discovered “Here comes the Sun”, “Yellow Submarine”, and “Octopus’s Garden”.


In the course of rearranging some furniture, I found a print of John Lennon in the house. I sat with Little Bug and explained that this is where he got his name from. Little Bug took the picture and said, “That’s Lennon John! He mucusinging blackbird!”


Little Bug decided that the print needed to be hung in his room. I grabbed the tape and went to his room to find his eyeballing for a special place for Lennon John. Finally, Little Bug decided above the head of his bed.


I found him in his room yesterday singing “Here Comes the Sun”, laying on his bed and looking at the picture. When I asked him what he was doing, he said, “just watching. I like Lennon John.” All I could do was smile and say that I do too.

No comments: