Thursday, August 13, 2009

Your answers only lead to more questions

I have been trying to get Little Bug to tell me what he did during the day. When I get off the bus, I sit in the back seat and ask him about his day. I have found that he cannot tell us what he did in a day. Our conversations go like this:

B: Hey Bug! Did you have a good day?
L: Uhmm, no.
B: What happened today?
L: Rode Fains (trains)
B looks into rear view mirror to see Nick shake his head no, indicating that they didn’t ride trains. : Did you play outside?
L: No, inside
B looks into the mirror again to see Nick shaking his head yes, in fact they did play outside.

This goes on every day. This causes an insane amount of anxiety. We are going to send him off to school and yet not have any way to hear from him what happened. While I want to have faith and hope that the school will do the right thing by him, it breaks my heart that my son will not be able to tell me if something isn’t going well.

Little Bug had his first melt down about school this week. We can tell that he has been upset about something- which we assume is that lack of Birth To Three and the structure that they provide- as he has been flappy, jumpy, extremely quick to emotion and hurting himself more.

He was playing with a school bus on his road rug and Nick and I decided that we could use that time to talk to him about riding the school bus. We told him that he was going to get to ride a bus like that. His face was overtaken with a huge smile.
He looked at us and pointed to the bus, “Daddy Nick and Bake too!”

We told him that we weren’t going to be able to ride the bus, but he would ride it with his friends. He became panicked and threw himself on the ground, crying and hitting his head. He began to yell, “No BUS! NO BUS!” and then bit himself.

I wish we could make this easier for him. Nick and I have decided that we are going to have him ride the bus- even though the school is only 6 blocks away from our house. If he struggles with it or is truly unhappy, we can always withdraw him from it, however he needs to give it a shot.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I hope the transition works out for you guys.

I can tell you that, at the age of 4, Bryce STILL does not tell us what he does in a day. When we ask him what he learned at preschool, every answer since he was two years old is "I learned about money." For the record, they've never even talked about money at school. :) He never tells us about the fun stuff he gets to do with his aunt and there's been some pretty memorable stuff that she's told us they do in a day. So, hang in there, you may have to get reports from his teachers for awhile. :)