Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sleep issues

Not sure if I shared, but when we last saw the wizard (as we like to call Little Bug's neurologist), he diagnosed Little Bug with Sleep Distrubances NOS (Not Otherwise Specified). Basically, this documents that Little Bug still doesn't sleep through the night. That he still has an incredibly difficult time falling asleep.

We have a new wrinkle- sleep walking. He has begun to do things at night that he would *never* normally do. I know, you say, you can't know that. I know that he would normally not trash the house. Last week, I woke up to get ready for work and at first thought we had been burglarized. There was stuff everywhere. Every cupboard in the kitchen was open. Any stitch of fabric in the kitchen and bathroom had been tossed onto the floor. All the coasters and mug rugs the Hama makes were tossed all over the living room.

Last night, Nick and I found out that he has been sneaking food. I had been finding wrappers during the last week and thought that Nick was having a late night snack and just didn't see them. Nope, they were Little Bug. Which explains why when he wakes up at times his face is sticky.

I have found dried beans and spaghetti noodles on the floor. Again, I thought Nick was looking for a snack and didn't see that he had made a mess. But, no it wasn't Nick.

At this point, for his safety, we are going to have to consider all options. He already sleeps with us- heaven help us if he sleeps in his own bed. I worry that he could hurt himself or choke with his midnight eating. As he gets bigger, I worry that he will be able to get out of the house easier- we already have special locks installed and are now figuring out how to adjust the door alarm we bought.

I just want him to be able to sleep. To not wake up looking like he didn't sleep at all. He often carries steamer trunks under his eyes.

No comments: