Wednesday, April 11, 2012

National Autism Month

I struggle with this month.  I have mixed feelings about this month.  I am grateful for the awareness and spotlight it puts on our children.  I am glad that it ensures that Autism doesn't fall off the national radar.

I am saddened by this month.  At times, it seems like a lot of the stories are focused on causes and cures.  What happened?  How can we fix this?  It seems like what is forgotten is the now.  The people behind the stories.  Who our children our and what amazing things they can do.

I resent the resurgence of the vaccine debates whether in the article itself or in the comments.  I feel that it detracts from the issues at hand- early intervention, funding, adult support, caregiver education and support- and muddies the water with antagonism.

I feel bad when people tell me they are sorry for Lennon's Autism- we usually get this a couple times during this month.  We aren't.  This is who he is.  We believe that he isn't broken or lost.  He is simply different- as we all are.  He has brought so much joy into our lives.  He has taught us patience, strength, kindness, and unconditional love.  He is amazing and brilliant.

I am grateful for the attention and concern that this month brings.  I am grateful for my son.

No comments: