Thursday, January 5, 2012

Looking forward

I am a long time follower of Both Hands and a Flashlight and was inspired by their recent post for their 2012 resolutions. Instead of resolutions, 3 words were chosen to act as a compass for the year.  I am inspired by this and would like to do my own take on this.

Accept.  We really need to work on this principle.  We need to work on accepting ourselves and all our wonderful quirks and imperfections. Also, we need to work on accepting help.  This hasn't been easy for us to do in any facet of our lives. We are taking steps on this. Little Bug is now spending the night with his grandparents once a month and we have gotten help with our home improvements.  This is a principle that we will consistently need focus on.  This does not imply that by accepting things they must stay the same.  Before you can make a change, you need to know where you are at and understand it.


Do.  Especially when it comes to our health.  I have accepted that I am out of shape and overweight.  I get it. I now need to change.  I need to get healthy so that I can be active in life.  I don't want to be fat anymore.  I don't want to die of a heart attack at 39 like my birth mother.  I want to be preset.  I want to be for my son and husband.  We also need to do things for ourselves.  Nick and I are making strides in this, but we need to go further.  We need to allow ourselves hobbies and time outside of autism.


Streamline.  My current job is all about streamlining and efficiency and while I excel at work, this is something I would like to bring home.  Recently, (when we need it the most!) efficiency has gone out the window.  It has been chaos.  While it is understandable, it needs to change.  We are exhausted- partially  because of double work and inefficient.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Glad you found the three words helpful. It's been a great process for me personally.

Getting my health in much better order has made a world of difference. I think I was in much deeper trouble back 18 months ago than I realized. I'm amazed at how much better I feel now that I regularly exercise, eat less garbage, and have dropped 30 pounds. I'm much more able to be a good (or at least better) parent, I'm happier, and more focused on what's important.

Acceptance in all its forms and flavors is a long-term, probably never-ending struggle, but one that's really helped us the more we've tried practicing it. You're right that acceptance doesn't mean wanting things to stay the same. That's where so many of us get messed up. Our situations are what they are. We are good people just how we are, just trying to do the best we can. But saying that doesn't prevent us from trying to more fully realize the kind of people and families we hope to become.

Our "Decrapify Your Life" project is in no small part about streamlining. Crap and chaos have taken over, and we're fighting back.

Hope this goes well. Great words for this year!