Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What makes you special?

Little Bug, Nick and I have been having lots of conversations regarding boys and girls and moms and dads. It started last Wednesday when Little Bug looked at me at dinner and said, "MOMMY!"

I didn't get upset. I didn't get angry. I simply asked, "What do you mean?"

"...says you are a girl." Interesting. Apparently, someone has taken it upon themselves to discuss with Little Bug who really is a daddy and who isn't.

Now, I am not naive- I know that Little Bug and I will talk about this a lot- to the point of making me crazy. I know that he may hate me for a while when he gets older and his friends give him shit. I know that he will always know, above all else, Nick and I love him more than our own lives and that is what matters. I believe that he will accept it and be proud of having two daddies- even if one is a special daddy.

What I do mind is that someone took it upon themselves to get into this with my son. While he has told us who said this, they deny it. It's a tricky situation.

But I digress and want to get back to the really cool part of all this mess. As I said, we have been talking about daddies and mommies and parts etc. I explained to him that I was born a girl, but am a boy. Whether he understands that at 3, I don't know, but I want to be honest with him. Regardless, he seemed unphased and went back to calling me Daddy Blake.

Yesterday, he brought it up again. He began counting the number of boys and girls in our house. He stated, "4 boys- you, me, Fink, Nick. 1 girl- you."

I looked at him and asked, "Am I a special boy?" I asked this hoping that it would ease us back into the whole transgender thing.

Little Bug looked at me and beamed, "Yes! Me special too!"

"I know you are, bug. You will always be special and amazing to Daddy Nick and I. What makes me special?"

He looked at me and beamed again. "Because I love you."

I am happy to special that way above all others.

No comments: