Wednesday, September 30, 2009

All by himself

On Monday, I was asked to attend part of the school day with Little Bug in order to make a picture schedule for his teacher. This entailed creating many transitions based on his daily schedule. This also gave me an opportunity to see his class in action.

I was really impressed on the sensory options that were available- sand and water play, play dough, a quiet spot, as well as an indoor fort. I also liked the way the room was set up- lots of options, yet displayed in a way that was not overwhelming.

I was concerned with some of the other things I saw. Little Bug was allowed to play trains for an hour without any interaction encouraged. By the staff, he wasn't prompted to share or have conversations. He wasn't encouraged to pick a new task by anyone but me.

The teacher and I had a discussion about his picture schedule. She stated that she had wanted a picture that says, "I share toys!", however the SLP stated that was a more behavioral approach. I told her I agreed with the SLP. The behavioral approach needed to be consistent as well as direct. For example, you could say, "Little Bug, share a piece of track with L." Once he complies, get excited. Do this over and over again.

I don't know how to nicely explain that the support level in class needs to be stepped up a bit. Little Bug should be directed to make new choices as he will perseverate on the trains all day if you let him- and they do. We get a letter telling us what he did each day; each day, it says I played trains!

I am concerned about our approach. This teacher is kind, patient, flexible, and willing to learn. She has asked for help and opinions. She has been very open in her communication. I want to make sure that we aren't telling her how to run her class, but what our son needs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I am a teacher for young children with Autism and I have enjoyed reading your blog for sometime. I do have a suggestion of how to get your little guy to play in more areas of the classroom. When the schedule is put in place this will be a great tool to help him branch out. The schedule will help him organize his day (which I am sure you know) and this will cause less anxiety about branching out. It is easier to accept going to a different area when it is on the schedule rather than when an adult tells you. The use of First/Then boards may also be helpful. You would show him a board that says with pictures and words First Art Then Trains. I use these all the time in my class and it is really effective. Good luck!

Blake said...

That is a GREAT IDEA!!! Thank you so much for the suggestion.