Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Second School Visit

Yesterday, we visited a school that is part of the Autism program. It was utterly depressing.

There were 15 children ages 3 through 5 there- this didn't include typical peers who hadn't arrived yet. There was a teacher and three aids for all of these children. We arrived at free time, which apparently was taken literally- as in you can feel free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt someone.

There were two children who were very severe and they were allowed to spend the morning stimming. One sat on an improvised sea saw and stared at the ceiling. The second held a doll that talked and shoke it over and over. No one made an attempt to involve these childre in any activitites. No one talked to them except when it was time to go potty.

The remainder of the children also did exactly what they wanted. There was a girl who was in the process of taking her shirt off. Another girl who was taking of her socks and shoes and screaming. Two boys were at the water table flinging water every where. Another set of boys were scribbling on the white board and the wall and themselves.

While this was supposed to be tailored to children with ASD, I can't imagine leaving Lennon there. Nick, Lennon, and I have worked *so* hard for the improvements he has made. I can't imagine dropping him off in a setting that is so obviously set up for failure. There are too many demands on the staff and too little resources.

I no longer know what to do. Part of me wishes I could quit my job and teach him. I know that isn't the right answer because he *needs* outside people- in order to gain social skills and have a healthy life. It isn't healthy to have your parents so involved in every facet of your identity. Eventually, they have to do it on their own.

Nick and I were hoping for the Autism Preschool to speak to us and make us excited for this change. I can't speak for Nick, but I was absolutely terrified for our son and his future. To me, it felt that by choosing either program, we would be sentencing him to mediocrity where no one challenges him or expects anything from him.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Oh Blake, I don't know what to say. My first thought was that of yours, that you should just keep him out of there. I wish I knew of something or could help in some way. You gotta try and find some other way, it doesn't sound like that sort of environment would be the LEAST bit beneficial for Little Bug. Hang in there.